What to use? Vinegar and Nature’s Miracle enzyme treatment (sold in pet stores)
Of all the possible spills to happen to your rugs, pet urine and pet vomit are the worst. Because they go on hot and acidic, they actually re-dye the fibers, and “set” them at the same time. If you are not quick to clean up these will become permanent stains that will devalue your rug. You need to blot the stain, rinse and blot again. If the rug has dyes that show up on the towel in the first blotting step, then substitute a 50/50 Vinegar and water mixture for the Club Soda AND get the area only slightly damp – NOT wet. For pet feces, you must pick up as much as you can before you begin the Club Soda process.
ODORS ASSOCIATED WITH ALL THESE PET MISHAPS
What to use? Nature’s Miracle
Misting Natures Miracle on the areas helps to remove some of the odor-causing bacteria. Resist the urge to saturate the rug with Nature’s Miracle, because pouring any product on a rug is never a good idea. With pet urine, if it is a substantial amount then it has (because it’s hot and acidic) penetrated the wool or silk fibers and has been absorbed into the rug’s cotton foundation. In this case, the only way you will be able to remove the odor will be to have the rug get a bath and be soaked completely in an enzyme solution. You need to find a rug specialist to do this.
So, the key in handling all pet stains is getting to the area as soon as you can (and use the spill steps so that you can minimize the damage).
- NO regular Carpet Spotters! NO Scrub Brushes !! NO baking Soda
- Fresh Urine only ( old urine below)
- Smaller spots ► 50/50 mix white vinegar/cool water
- ►White/light colored cotton towel
- ►Apply moderate amount of mix
- Dyes in towel?? Yes? STOP !
- Pack area with cornstarch or salt
- Let dry.
- NO dyes in towel?
- ►Repeat until stain is gone
- ► Prop up carpet under spot
- ► Use hair dryer on WARM ONLY
- ►When dry place fan on for 24-48 hours to dry cotton in foundation…… stain remains? pack with cornstarch or salt, dry
- ODORS?? mist a moderate amount of Natures Miracle, do NOT overwet.
- Fresh Urine Large spots ( 15lb up)
- Grab your shop vacuum and extract
- ► Carefully vac till nearly dry, no scrubbing
- ► Apply 50/50 mix and follow directions above on small spots
OLD Urine Stains: The risk of permanent damage is too difficult to coach you through.